One of the biggest concerns that has popped up these days is mold. If you’re not sure on how to figure out if your weed is moldy or not, you are not alone. There are plenty of people out there that just don’t know. It can also be a little tricky sometimes if you have an untrained eye. If you’re not careful you could be mistaking something that’s disgusting for something that you think looks dynamite.
Cannabis is like any other plant, it can become a host for a menagerie of alien lifeforms including mold or mildew. Humid or moist environments are where cannabis molds thrive. So if it does turn out that you actually have moldy weed, it means that it was grown in a place without proper air ventilation and or had no humidity control. This creates molds like Botrytis, Aspergillus, Cladosporium, Rhizopus, Mucor, and Penicillium.
In order to be protected you need to have an ability to spot it. Mold can be hard to spot unless you know what you’re looking for. There are obvious signs that will stand out. One type of mold is called powdery mildew(most common). This appears as a grayish-white coating on the bud. To an untrained eye, this can easily be mistaken for the sugary trichomes. You will want to take an even closer look under good lighting. Trichome crystals glitter like a lame vampire in Twilight. The mold will look gray or white and powdery. It’s also been compared to sawdust or tiny spider webs. Mold might also show up as a yellow or gray fuzz in the creases of the bud. Dark spots on what is otherwise solid green bud is another recognizable sign of mold.
If seeing isn’t believing then give it a good sniff. Your nose may recognize mold even before your eyes do, so it’s always worth checking if your weed smells weird. Contaminated weed will smell musty or mildewy smell like a basement or under a sink.
Ingesting any of this stuff is definitely going to be bad for your health as well. Mold is not good for you to inhale and is definitely not good for you to smoke. Being that there’s so many different types of molds as stated above this can become very dangerous. Once inhaled the mold kind of moves into your lungs and sets up residency. “I live here now“, then it actually begins to grow. This could lead to lung infections that require hospitalization. Even worse, once it enters into the bloodstream it can spread throughout the central nervous system. This is of course a worst-case scenario which should be avoided at all costs.
So if you ever happen to notice anything strange about your weed at the first glance or through a good sniff, take a closer look at it before smoking it. In addition if you ever find yourself coughing excessively or feeling tight in the chest or end up with a headache afterwards… My recommendation would be to throw that nugget out. Or send it back for a refund. Life is way too short to smoke rotten weed.